Friday, February 27, 2009

AW Project Golf

80 lb. Vellum.
16 lb. Trace

This is the beginning of a process where I attempt to learn something new from a successful artist I admire. This time it is Ashley Wood.

I picked up a nice Pental brush pen, tracing paper, and vellum paper for the this illustration project. The vellum is noticeably more transparent than the tracing paper. The figurative sketch is getting closer to the loose expressive stroke that I want to achieve but it still feels sloppy and not deliberate enough for my liking. I'll keep at it. Once I get the line confidence issue resolved the plan is to add a masculine/industrial element in the background, then scan the images, color them, and overlay a subtle gritty paper texture.

An additional note on color:

I'm going to keep colors flat, limited, and saturate with an interest in stroke color opposed to just caning the line work in and leaving it black.

More to come.

No comments: